23.6.09

Ostrich Effect

When playing hide and seek with a 4 year old, the best place to look is usually right in front of you. I guess they get all flustered while you are counting, and can't find a place, so they panic and stay where they are and maybe put a blanket on their head, but usually just cover their eyes. You see, if they can't see you, you can't see them, much like an ostrich hiding their head in the sand.



I find that as and adult, I still use this method. When I don't want something to be there, I just close my eyes and Vuala! It's gone. I use this method to hide from something scary, or after embarrassing myself, and sometimes when I see someone that I don't want to talk to. If I look away or merely close my eyes, they vanish and I don't have to have the awkward conversation with my best friend's Ex.


The idea behind this is, if you don't see it, it's not there. I find that this is the most effective strategy to avoid all problems; bad grades, low fund-age in my bank account, contention with roommates, and doing my laundry. If I don't look, it's not there. Problem solved. Riiiiiiiiight?

3 comments:

Quinn the Eskimo said...

wrong

alexismunoadyer said...

right

anna said...

i learned this one from keebees when he was 4...still works today. like a charm.